Monday, January 13, 2014

Kim's Favorite Oatmeal

I eat oatmeal almost every morning.  Eventually, I came up with this recipe.

1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 cup Original (sweetened) Almond Milk
1/2 cup water
Raisins and whole Almonds to taste

Make sure to use a big bowl with tall sides or you will have a huge mess to clean in your microwave!  Measure oats with dry measuring cup and put in bowl.  Shake your almond milk, using the same measuring cup, and put it in with the oats.  Now use the measuring cup to measure the water and put it in (with a quick rinse, now the measuring cup is clean [well, clean enough for me]).  Microwave on high for 5 minutes.  Add raisins and almonds right away.  Let oatmeal sit until it is cool enough for you to eat.

*I have tried all three kinds of oats.  And I like the old-fashioned best.  Plus, you get more of the delicious, chewy grain and less mush.  If you choose to use a different kind, check the package for the correct amounts and use half water and half milk. 

**You can use regular milk too.  But I just tried the almond milk and it is my favorite!  I use the sweetened but you could use the unsweetened.  You might want to add some sugar then.  The almond milk (1/2 cup) is only about 30 calories.  I think that unsweetened is about 20.  Vanilla flavor is optional and I haven't tried it.  I think there are a few more calories in it.  I might try the unsweetened vanilla next.

No comments: